Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Moment Please...

I've never seen the point of blogging. Really!

It just seemed like another cybernetic trend people jump to much like
Friendster/Facebook or the newest phone-laptop-PDA-telegraph. Alas, I am wrong.

Plus, my perfectionist tendencies of writing the perfect blog post (there is NO such thing after all) always gets in the way. I write halfway, then I delete and put it off till the next day (and on and on and on... you know how it goes) - but my ignorant assumptions recently came to a standstill. Blogs, or the internet in general, perform that essential democratic function of connecting people and ideas in a space that is uncensored, unfettered, and unstoppable (well mostly). Goodness knows how many essays we've written on this topic for college.

Like radio, television, or the printing press in their early days, the internet is still a largely uncommercialized mediascape. With the exception of a few countries like China or Malaysia, the internet gives people uncensored access to the world's information. For many people, it is the only sanctuary left for the silenced, shut-out voices of the minority.

So this is what its all about. With this blog, I would like to own your attention for Just One Freaking Second, and direct it towards the people, groups, or organisations that I feel are ignored or undervalued by society. As a student of media studies, I have never been more aware of the insidious censorship or what I like to call 'media-blankoing' that goes on behind the screen, things we take for granted because shutting one eye is easier than opening them to the injustice that surrounds us.

I hope, most of all, for feedback, debate, and vigorous discussion to take place here, for I do not claim to know everything. Perhaps together, we can make the internet, nay, the world, a better place for free expression and democracy.

0 comments: